Latin Name: Coffea Arabica
Common Names: Arabian coffee, coffee shrub of Arabia, mountain coffee, or arabica coffee
Distribution Area: Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, China, and assorted islands in the Caribbean and in the Pacific
Botanical Information: The height of the plant varies from 9 to 12 m. The system of branches is open. The leaves are sleek, of dark green color. They are simple, of elliptic-ovate shape, 6-12 cm long and 4-8 cm broad. The flowers are of white color and are 10-15 mm in diameter. The seeds are hidden in a drupe, of red-purple color, 10-15 mm in diameter, usually containing 2 seeds.
There is a huge number of biologically active ingredients in green coffee (more than a thousand). Among them, green coffee contains:
- Caffeine: a substance that invigorates and tones. Caffeine can be useful for the human body in limited quantities, as it stimulates muscle and mental activity, prevents the deposition of fats in the body, and improves memory. Helps with headache and spasmolytic pain.
- Tannin: a tannic substance with antibacterial properties. Strengthens the walls of blood vessels, improves the work of the stomach and intestines, accelerates the regeneration of tissues, and removes heavy toxins from the body.
- Chlorogenic acid: a powerful plant antioxidant, contained only in thermally untreated coffee: it is completely destroyed during frying at a temperature of 200-250 °C. It optimizes metabolism, prevents the deposition of fats and the development of diabetes, normalizes the digestive and circulatory system.
- Theophylline: improves blood composition, reduces the risk of blood clots, normalizes the respiratory system and blood circulation in the organs of the abdominal cavity, and stimulates cardiac activity.
- Amino acids: contribute to a significant increase of immunity, a set of muscle mass, the normalization of appetite and increased vascular tone.
- Lipids: favorably affect the activity of the nervous system.
- Fiber: prevents the development of certain types of cancer, improves the work of the pelvic organs, normalizes digestion and cholesterol level in the blood.
- Trigonellin: when transforms into nicotinic acid, normalizes pressure, maintains hormonal balance and metabolism, improves blood formation and brain activity.
- Essential oils, tannins, purine alkaloids: soothe and normalize the nervous system, improve digestion, bronchus and lungs, neutralize harmful bacteria.
Any type of coffee necessarily has caffeine. However, there is much less of it in green coffee. The amount of caffeine increases during heat treatment (frying) in coffee beans.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GREEN COFFEE
It is obvious that green coffee has the following remarkable health properties:
- fat burning
All these qualities are typical for green coffee only if all the rules of collecting, processing, transporting and storing are observed: any unfavorable conditions lead to the destruction of useful substances of coffee beans.
The antioxidants contained in the product in a large quantity are able to break down fats intensively: its effectiveness is three times higher than that of classically roasted black coffee, and the ability to destroy free radicals in the body makes its use safe.
Fiber and theophylline contribute to the maintenance of a normal water-fat balance, so the skin does not lose elasticity and elasticity, even with intense weight loss.
The moderate content of caffeine makes drinking green coffee not only safe, but also beneficial for the cardiovascular system: caffeine in small amounts is necessary for the tone of blood vessels, as it improves the nervous system, stimulates memory, strengthens lymphatic drainage and strengthens the heart muscle.
Green coffee stimulates motor and brain activity, increases efficiency, energizes, which promotes activity and loss of excess weight.
Green coffee can be taken in the form of drink, capsules, powder as food supplement, extracts and tinctures.
CONTRAINDICATIONS AND POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Caffeine can cause (possible side effects):
- stomach upset
- increased heart
- breathing rate
Consuming large amounts of coffee might also cause (overdose):
- ringing in the ears
- irregular heartbeats
Insufficiently proved contraindications:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Abnormally high levels of homocysteine
- Anxiety disorders
- Bleeding disorders
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Thinning bones (osteoporosis)
Green coffee has its benefits and undesirable effects. The expediency and methods of its application depend on the type of product, the purpose of consumption, and the state of health, thereby before consuming green coffee, it is recommended to consult a doctor regarding the individual intolerance to this exotic product.
“Coffee smells like magic and fairytales”
*This article is for informational purposes only. We suggest consulting with a physician before using these or any other herbal supplements.