Lotus (Latin Nelumbo nucifera) is a species of perennial grassy amphibian plants from the genus Lotus (Nelumbo) of the monotypic family Lotus (Nelumbonaceae).
The plant is distributed in tropical and temperate regions of Asia (including Azerbaijan, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, Iran, the Korean peninsula, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Russia, Thailand, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Japan), and also in the north of Australia. Native to Tropical Asia, and Queensland, Australia, it is commonly cultivated in water gardens. It is also the national flower of India, and Vietnam.
Nelumbo nucifera is perennial aquatic plant with a knotted rhizome, belonging to tropical relict species. The leaves of the lotus are floating, on long prickly cuttings, shaped like a shield with a hollow in the middle and covered with a wax coating, the diameter reaches 50-70 cm. The flowers change from bright pink at the beginning of flowering to almost white before the petals fall, blooming period lasts only a couple of days. It blooms in the second half of summer. Lotus flowers are large, 25-30 cm in diameter, and rise high above the water on a straight pedicle. They have a faint but very pleasant aroma.
A large number of active substances stipulates useful properties of this flower. The leaves of the plant contain flavonoids, leucoanthocyanidins and alkaloids; rhizomes are rich in tannins, starch, resin, and rubber and vitamin C are present in all parts of the lotus. Remedies from this curative plant are able to stimulate the human immune system thanks to the high concentration of vitamin C. Different types of this natural medicine contain protein, manganese, copper, sugar, oils, useful macro- and microelements.
HEALING PROPERTIES OF LOTUS
- Lotus is used in the preparation of various medicines and biologically active additives.
- It is a part of a variety of tonic teas. Drinking of this type has a positive effect on the nervous system. Decoctions and tinctures act as an antipyretic, diuretic.
- Often used when having diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, problems with the reproductive system.
- Used in the treatment of kidney and liver diseases.
- Lotus oil helps in the treatment of problem skin. The healing plant is able to remove the inflammatory process, purify the skin, promote smoothing, fight against acne, and makes the skin supple and elastic.
- Seeds treat the pathology of the kidneys and the cardiovascular system. They have a calming effect; can be used for insomnia, with a strong psychological load.
- According to doctors, lotus seeds are an indispensable tool in the treatment of hemorrhoids and diarrhea. When eating dishes with seeds, you can strengthen immunity, kidneys, heart, and reproductive system.
- Lotus is able to normalize the movement of blood. Extract of the plant is used with violation of heart rhythm, lowering lipids in the blood, with the treatment of obesity, it positively affects the work of the spleen, improves sleep.
- Lotus root has medicinal properties. Decoction from it is taken with convulsions, pollutions, dyspepsia.
- Lotus as an antiseptic and antipyretic remedy is used with gonorrhea, fungal infections, diseases of the spleen, liver and kidneys.
- It can be taken after a bite of snakes and scorpions, poisonous insects.
- In some countries, lotus root is used in the treatment of pneumonia and bronchial asthma.
- Decoctions from lotus are recommended for taking as a diuretic, for stopping blood, as a tonic.
- Lotus leaves are used for the treatment of oncological diseases (cervical cancer), tumors of various origin.
- The leaves help slowing the aging, are used as soothing.
- Harm caused by lotus is unknown in traditional medicine. However, it is forbidden to take it during pregnancy and lactation.
- It is inadmissible to take lotus with constipation.
- In addition, allergy is possible because of individual intolerance to the whole plant or to its parts.
- Do not take lotus oil in undiluted form. It is not recommended to use it by children. Do not let it get on the mucous membranes. Before treatment it is better to consult a doctor.
OINTMENT FOR BURNS
Fresh lotus leaves fry until black, chop, mix with petroleum jelly. Apply not to fresh, but already healing burns. Prevents the formation of scars.
PORRIDGE FROM LOTUS SEEDS AGAINST DIARRHEA
15 g of seeds soak in warm water for 4-5 hours. After add 15 grams of dark sugar and put on a fine fire, cook until ready. Put in tea with calculation 5 g - 1 glass.
VINEGAR INFUSION WITH LOTUS ROOT FOR A BURST OF ENERGY
The root must be well peeled; add the root to water and vinegar (1 tablespoon of vinegar - 1 glass of water), hold for 5 minutes. Then rinse under running water, throw in boiling water with vinegar, cook for 5 minutes. Drink 50 minutes before meals for one week.
Herbalterra produces high-quality herbal liquid extracts and among the great diversity of them, you can find:
- He Ye, Lotus (Nelumbo Nucifera) Tincture, Dried Leaf Powder
- Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) Tincture, Dried Seeds
- Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) Tincture, Dried Stamens
- Lotus, Lian Zi Xin (Nelumbo Nucifera) Dried plumule
- Pink Lotus (Nelumbo Nucifera) Tincture, Organic Dried Leaves and Flowers
We produced our extracts using a cold maceration method of extraction to ensure that the broad spectrum of therapeutic plant compounds - vitamins, minerals, alkaloids, flavonoids and other active constituents of the herbs are fully extracted and maintained. Take about 20-30 drops (1 ml or 1 full squeeze of the dropper bulb) to 2 oz of juice or water up to 4 times a day.
“Water surrounds the lotus flower, but does not wet its petals”
*This article is for informational purposes only. We suggest consulting with a physician before using these or any other herbal supplements.