LATIN NAME: Solánum tuberósum
COMMON NAMES: tater and spud
DISTRIBUTIVE AREA: from the United States to southern Chile.
BOTANICAL INFORMATION: Solanum tuberosum is a species of perennial tuberous herbaceous plants of the Solanum genus in the Solanaceae family. It reaches a height up to 1 meter. Stem is bare, ribbed. Part of the stem, immersed in the soil, produces long shoots (length 15-20 cm). Potato leaf is dark green. Flowers are white, pink and violet, collected in the corymb on the top of the stem. Cup and corolla are five-parted. Fruit is a multi-seeded, dark green, poisonous berry with a diameter of 2 cm, resembling a small tomato.
ACTIONS: antiviral, immunomodulating, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic, neuroprotective, wound healing.
The main active substance of the plant shoots is a hexose glycoside consisting of glucose, rhamnose, arabinose, mannose, xylose, galactose, uronic acids. This substance has antiviral and immunomodulating effect, promotes the natural production of interferons (protective proteins of the human immune system).
The average potato contains:
- water 75%
- starch 18.2%
- nitrogenous substances (crude protein) 2%
- sugars 1.5%
- cellulose 1%
- fats 0.1%
- titrated acids 0.2%
- substances of phenolic nature 0.1%
- pectin substances 0.6%
- other organic compounds (nucleic acids, glycoalkaloids, hemicelluloses, etc.) 1,6%
- mineral substances 1.1%
HEALTH BENEFITS AND INDICATIONS FOR USE
Solánum tuberósum possesses the following health benefits:
- increases the nonspecific resistance of the organism to various infections
- promotes the induction of interferons alpha and gamma leukocytes of blood
- improves the functions of the retina and optic nerve
- reduces the viral load
- removes neurological symptoms
- controls blood sugar levels
- resists stroke and heart attack
- reduces inflammation
- clears the liver
- prevents kidney stones, degenerative diseases, premature aging, different forms of anemia, cancer, scurvy
- potassium helps lowering and stabilizing high blood pressure
- treats constipation, eliminates bowel straining
- raw juice is a good remedy for gastritis, colitis, gastric and intestinal ulcers
- raw slices aid tired eyes, they make eye dark circles disappear
- gives relief from burns
- stimulates brain function
- provides relief from rheumatism
- strengthens the walls of blood vessels
- protects against atherosclerosis
- reduces swelling
More indications for use: herpesvirus infections, reduced immunity in combination with infectious diseases, cytomegalovirus infection in combination with habitual miscarriage, papillomavirus infection, stomach disorders, obesity, arthritis, infections, boils.
POWER OF POTATO FLOWERS
Walking along the rows of flowering potatoes, you can see that there is not a single insect or a bee on its flowers. The reason is that the flowers of the potato are simply poisonous. They contain a serious poison called alkaloid solanine. However, small doses of solanine has medicinal properties and a wide range of effects with radical and effective results. In addition to poison, the flowers contain useful substances flavonoids, which strengthen the vessels and slow the aging process in the body.
Potato flowers are used in the following cases:
- joint pain
- sprains, bruises
- warts and papillomas
- diaper rash, skin diseases caused by fungi (especially staphylococcus)
- angina (except purulent form), tonsillitis, diseases of the upper respiratory tract
- diseases of teeth and gums
- increased arterial pressure
- stomach and duodenum ulcer
TINCTURE RECIPE FROM POTATO FLOWER
Put 1 tablespoon of fresh shredded potato flower to a glass jar. Pour 100 ml of vodka in it. Put the container to the dark, cool, dry place and leave there for 7 days, shaking periodically. When it is ready, then strain. Use it to:
- normalize high blood pressure
- get rid of the fungus
- remove pigment spots (externally)
CONTRAINDICATIONS AND SPECIAL WARNINGS
Sprouted or green potatoes and flowers contain a large amount of a poisonous substance - solanine, so this potato cannot be eaten, as this can cause severe poisoning.
People suffering from diabetes and other serious illnesses should consult a doctor about the amount and expediency of using this product.
Contraindicated when having severe diseases of the kidneys and spleen, hypersensitivity to plant components, during pregnancy, breast-feeding period and for children.
This plant may interact with Thrombolytic Drugs.
Such adverse reactions as stomach pain, flushing, restlessness, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, thirst, headache can occur.
INTERESTING AND FUNNY FACTS ABOUT POTATO
- You can survive entirely on potatoes and butter, which provide all necessary nutrients the human body needs.
- Potatoes absorbs Wi-Fi signals the same way people do and are used to test/improve internet signals on airplanes.
- Potato chips were invented after a chef lost his temper with a customer who kept asking for his potatoes to be more fried and thinner.
- Potatoes have almost all nutrients humans need to survive. To prove this, the Executive Director from the Washington State Potato Commission ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days.
- About 7% of all the potatoes grown in the USA are turned into McDonald’s fries.
- A potato has more chromosomes than a human being.
“My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with”
*This article is for informational purposes only. We suggest consulting with a physician before using these or any other herbal supplements.