Latin Name: Arthrospira Platensis
Common Names: Spirulina, Blue-Green Algae
Parts Used: Algae
Habitat: Spirulina grows in some lakes, particularly those rich in salts, in Central and South America and Africa
Spirulina is blue-green algae. It belongs to the family of several species of micro algae such as blue-green aphanizomenon (the closest relative of Spirulina) and green algae chlorella and dunaliella. These microscopic dark-green algae have the shape of spiral coils. All the kinds of micro algae grow wildly everywhere; both edible species are cultivated at the especially designed algae farms to provide their purity.
This is the only existing organism that has lived on the Earth without changes for millions of years precisely because of its unique biochemical composition. This is a balanced set of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, encased in an easily digestible mucoprotein membrane. There is a large amount of blue pigmenticocyanin in the composition of spirulina is. This substance is the only known one that can stop the growth of cancer cells. It has not found in any other products on Earth. In total, spirulina consists of about 2000 vitamins, minerals, amino acids, including essential polyunsaturated fatty amino acids and enzymes.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF SPIRULINA
WHAT IS THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF SPIRULINA?
Useful properties of spirulina derive from the healing power of its individual biologically active components.
- Arginine clears the blood of toxic substances, helps to remove slagging of the body, increases libido.
- Gamma-linolenic acid is a good remedy for the prevention and treatment of arthritis. A rare natural ingredient, which is also found in breast milk.
- Glutamic acid is considered to be an important food for brain cells, improves mental abilities and reduces cravings for alcohol.
- Inositol is needed to treat the liver. It is involved in excretion of carcinogens from the body, as well as an excessive amount of female hormones. It helps to normalize the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Thiamine is recommended to enter the diet for problems with the nervous system, increased fatigue, insomnia, heart rhythm disturbance, and dyspnea.
- Tyrosine has anti-aging properties. There are also medical reasons to assume that tyrosine prevents the appearance of gray hair. Scientists call this substance "the elixir of youth."
- Phycocyanin is a blue pigment, which the scientific community is paying close attention to now. According to some sources, this is the only component found in nature capable of inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. Phycocyanin has not been found in any plant of our planet except spirulina.
- Folic acid is necessary for the formation of hemoglobin in the human body.
- Cystine plays an important role in the work of the pancreas.
TREATMENT WITH SPIRULINA
Spirulina has a positive effect on people suffering from diabetes of II type. Studies confirm the ability of edible alga to reduce blood sugar, with noticeable results appearing after 6-8 weeks from the beginning of regular intake.
Treatment with spirulina can be prescribed when having diseases of the heart, arthritis and even cancer.
The introduction to the diet of this product will help to maintain a healthy pH balance in the body. A daily diet based on products of increased acidity, such as animal proteins and grains, can and should be balanced with spirulina, which has alkaline properties.
Among many medical indications of the use of blue-green algae, it is especially worth mentioning the following:
- prevention of many viral infections, including HIV, influenza, mumps, measles and herpes
- reduction of allergy, including hay fever
- protection the liver from toxins
- reduction of blood pressure, getting rid of cholesterol plaques
- decreased symptoms of ulcerative colitis
- increasing immunity
Spirulina can be purchased in the form of tablets, powder or extracts. The main advantage of the powder lies in the higher concentration of biologically active substances. You can add powder to various cocktails and fruit juices, smoothies, salads, yoghurts and other cold foods. The main restriction is using spirulina with high temperature, as in such a condition the major part of valuable substances is lost. Nowadays there is no clear information about the minimum effective dosage of the powder, although in clinical trials people are given from 1 to 10 g. It is extremely important to buy spirulina only from trusted producers, because it can be contaminated with heavy metals and toxic substances (microcystins).
Spirulina extract is used for the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis, oncological diseases, diabetes, metabolic disorders, kidney and urinary tract diseases, overweight, allergies, digestive system diseases, hypertension, infectious diseases, insomnia, nightmares and hormonal disorders. Herbalterra produces this extract using a cold maceration method of extraction to ensure that the broad spectrum of therapeutic plant compounds - vitamins, minerals, alkaloids, flavonoids and other active constituents of the herbs are fully extracted and maintained. You can purchase a single herb Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) Tincture from Organic Dried Algae or buy multiple herb formulas with spirulina such as Anemia Support Herbal Formula and Green Power Herbal Formula. Take about 20-30 drops (1 ml or 1 full squeeze of the dropper bulb) to 2 oz of juice or water up to 4 times a day.
SPIRULINA DRUG INTERACTIONS
Moderate interaction with Medications that decrease the immune system (Immunosuppressants):
Spirulina has an immune stimulating effect on the body. When improving the immunity, spirulina can reduce the efficacy of Immunosuppressants such as azathioprine (Imuran), basiliximab (Simulect), cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), daclizumab (Zenapax), muromonab-CD3 (OKT3, Orthoclone OKT3), mycophenolate (CellCept), tacrolimus (FK506, Prograf), sirolimus (Rapamune), prednisone (Deltasone, Orasone), corticosteroids (glucocorticoids), and others. Simultaneous consumption of the blue-green algae and listed medications must be under doctor’s supervision.
Spirulina products can be used for the prevention and treatment of diseases because of its complete safety. Even folk medicine confirms that with prolonged admission, no side effects are observed. Although if you pay attention to the instruction, then there are a number of contraindications that can lead to some unpleasant sensations when used:
- peptic ulcer
- heart failure
- disorders of the nervous system
- lactation period
- vascular thrombosis
- heart attack
If a person suffers from kidney disease and has strongly pronounced symptoms of hypertension, then he should not begin treatment with the spirulina without consulting a doctor.
“Gram for gram, spirulina could be the most nutritious and well-rounded food on the planet, which stores almost indefinitely”
*This article is for informational purposes only. We suggest consulting with a physician before using these or any other herbal supplements.